Thursday, June 25, 2009

Report on Higher education

I have been reading the Yashpal committee report on the reform of higher education with interest. Without mentioning the institutes like IISc, he states

In our country, the undergraduate years have mostly remained in the precinct of affiliated colleges, i.e., not as part of mainstream university life. Indeed, quite a few universities do not have undergraduate classes at all. In many universities, the faculty serving undergraduate colleges is given some opportunity to participate in postgraduate teaching at the university, but there is no such provision for the university faculty to serve in colleges. This arrangement illustrates the perceived hierarchy of the UG and PG stages of higher education. In treating UG education as a ‘lower’ level of learning, the Indian university system has perpetuated a source of its own intellectual malnourishment.

I have not yet read the report thoroughly but I will do so in the flights in the next few days and then comment on it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prof Giri,

A totally unrelated (to the post that is) comment:

I enjoyed reading your blog a lot, especially all the discussions about GATE/GRE, PhD in India/USA...

and I could relate to many of the cases that you discussed, mostly that of IIT as a stepping stone to top-10 schools in the US for a PhD...I myself took that route....

Kaushik

Rainbow Scientist said...

Dear Prof. Madras,

I can not download the report, file seems to be damaged. It might be interesting if they can take input from the people who have first hand experience of teaching in a science college affiliated with a university (which don't have undergraduate course). I can ask my previous colleagues to take a look and give their input. In most cases it is not democratic process, people sitting in the state capital and Delhi make decisions for improvisation and forward it to the colleges/universities for follow up. Completely inefficient process without any knowledge of ground realities.

Rainbow Scientist said...

Dear Prof. Madras,

I can not download the report, file seems to be damaged. It might be interesting if they take input from the people who have first hand experience of teaching in a science college affiliated with a university (which don't have undergraduate course). I can ask my previous colleagues to take a look and give their input. In most cases it is not democratic process, people sitting in the state capital and Delhi make decisions for improvisation and forward it to the colleges/universities for follow up. Completely inefficient process without any knowledge of ground realities.

Rainbow Scientist said...

I finally managed to download the report on my lap top. It is very interesting and broad, and contains many interesting suggestions to improve the quality of higher education in India.